1 Butterflies ____ their worst year for more than a quarter of a century in Britain because of the wet summer 2007.
had been suffering
had suffered .
2. J.K. Rowling is regarded as a thoroughly decent woman whose novels ____ pleasure to millions of readers.
3. The traditional English countryside will be changed forever unless the Government ____ swiftly on climate change.
4. ___ you envious of other people’s success?
5. ___ a barber to tell you if you need a haircut.
6. Woman: “I’m Laura Miles from London office. How do you do?” Man: “ ___.”
Pleased to meet you, Ms Miles.
What do you want?
7. Scottish castles ____ a tempting investment for the hard-nosed pragmatists lately.
8. People enjoy watching plants _____ to the light of the rising sun.
to be opening
9. ‘No change, no chance’, was the slogan ____ by John Redwood when he stood against John Major for the
Tory leadership in 1995."
to be used
10. If you are not paying an adviser a fee, ___ he gives you will be worthless.
11. The actress couldn’t go into detail about what she ___
12 "Humanity’s history _____ by constant movement, mass migration from continent to continent in search of a better
way of life."
13 The Spanish Nobel prizewinning writer C. Jose Cela ___ lately of plagiarizing the work of a less known author.
has been accused
had been accused
14 You ____ to look very far to see that natural tendency of life is to grow.
15 About 100 thousand people ____ at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
would be working
will be working
16 You ____ be a teacher or a computer expert to enjoy learning with children.
17 What do you ____ offer that other don’t?
18 The speech of Edinburgh reflects the city’s history as vividly as its architecture ____.
19 "Two years ago Britains were assured that global warming ____ them warmer, wetter winters but long, hot,
20 The spokesman for the university said that they ___ of low student satisfaction levels.
21 The point is that true lovers have their Valentine every day ___ the gift of love every moment.
22 "In early January 2008, more than 6 000 journalists from around the world ____ at Detroit Car Center for the annual Detroit Auto Show."
23 Some years ago (probably 10 or 11) there wasn’t a lot of money about but nobody complained of ___
24 Life has it ups and downs, nothing in life ______ forever.
25 It’s said to discover that the true meaning of St George’s Day seems ___ recently by so many people in Britain.
26 When you work doing what you like, life is a joy and you look forward ____ each and every day.
27 More and more people are for going holidays abroad in favor ____ British destinations, as the credit crisis worsens.
28 The point is that true lovers have their Valentine every day ___ the gift of love every moment.
29 There isn’t _____ of starting any day than with fried eggs and bacon.
30 There exist the people who ____ predict all kinds of rebellions, wars, catastrophes and accident.
31 In practice, the most that _____ be achieved is to keep inflation close to 2% in the medium term.
32 There are ___ 12 different hypotheses to explain how humans learnt to walk.