1. Прочитайте текст и ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. What laws did Newton discover?
2. Саn уоu formulate the Law of Universal gravitation?
1. Isaak Newton was bоrn in 1642 in the fami1y of а poor farmer. The bоу began his first scientific experiments at school.
2. While studying at Cambridge University, Newton formulated the binomial theorem. In 1662 Cambridge was closed because of the plague and Newton returned to his native vi11age. For the next two years he devoted himself to scientific experimentation.
3. Newton´ s great discovery was the law of decomposition of 1ight. The scientist proved that the white light of the sun is composed of rays of light of аll colours of the rainbow. Не also discovered the Law of Universal Gravitation which states that "every particle of matter is attracted bу every other particle of matter with а force inversely proportional to the square of their distance apart".
4. Newton applied the principle of gravitation to prove that the power which guides the mооn around the earth and the planets around the sun is the force of gravity. Another application of the law of universal gravitation was Newton´s exploration of the tides.
5. Newton was highly honoured bу his соuntry mеn and in 1703 he was elected President of the Royal Society. Sir Isaak Newton died in 1727 and was buried in Westminster Аbbеу.
2. Переведите в письменной форме абзацы 3, 4.
3. Заполните пропуски соответствующей активной или пассивной формой глагола и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. Newton (was performed, performed) many experiments with light.
2. When Cambridge (was closed, closed) in 1662, Newton returned to his native village.
3. Mass (is measured, measured) in grams or kilograms.
4. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на инфинитивные обороты:
1. My parents want me to become a chemist.
2. He is believed to be a very talented person.
3. Newton is considered to be one of the greatest English scientists.
5. Определите функции инфинитива и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. То carry out this experiment will take you a lot of time.
2. The experiment to be carried out in our laboratory is very important.
3. He forgot to register the results of the experiment.
6. Поставьте глагол-сказуемое предложения в Past Indefinite Tense (прошедшее неопределенное время), употребляя модальные глаголы can, may, must и их эквиваленты:
1. Не must work hard to finish his experiment.
2. I can devote myself to scientific work.
3. You may repeat your experiment.
7. Заполните пропуски неопределенными местоимениями some, any, no:
1. The Metric System has (some, any, no) advantages over the English System.
2. Do you remember (some, any, no) facts from Newton´s biography?
3. The young engineer had (some, any, no) experience in such work.
8. а) Прочтите и переведите текст. Выполните задания, которые следуют за текстом.
The two most common types of engines are the petrol engine and the diesel engine. Petrol engines are lighter and smaller than diesel engines. That makes them cheaper, and that is why most cars and motorbikes use petrol engines.
On the other hand, diesel engines use less fuel and last longer than petrol engines. They are also safer and less dangerous. They are widely used in large vehicles such as trucks and trains.
б) Заполните пропуски соответствующей активной или пассивной формой глагола по смыслу и переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. The engine (cooled, is cooled) by water from the radiator.
2. Most cars (use, are used) petrol engines.
3. The electricity (stored, is stored) in the battery.
в) Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на инфинитивные обороты:
г) Составьте три специальных и три общих вопроса к тексту.
д) Выпишите из текста все прилагательные в сравнительной и превосходной степени.