1. Перепишите предложения, найдите в них инфинитив и подчеркните его, определите его форму. Письменно переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. To configure your computer for Automatic Updates tab use Control Panel’s
2. This technique is related to the criteria supposed to be built into the machine.
3. The world knows Babbage’s ideas to have had a great influence on the computer
4. Internet addresses can be written as a series of numbers.
5. To understand how to use a computer one must fully appreciate a design.
2. Перепишите предложения, подчеркните инфинитив и определите его функцию. Письменно переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. It is important to check your browser’s security options.
2. The biggest challenge is to control access by using passwords.
3. If you decide to assign private IP addresses to your workstations, you will hide
them from hackers who will see only the IP address for your router.
4. To deal with a malicious code, such as viruses and worms, it is important to run
an antivirus software on a standalone computer.
5. Leibnitz was the first to use the word “function”.
3. Перепишите предложения. Подчеркните в каждом инфинитивный оборот и определите его форму (объектный, субъектный и предложный инфинитивный оборот). Письменно переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. It is possible for the computers to handle all types of information.
2. The transmission mode enables the receiving computer to know where one byte ends and next byte begins on the transmission medium.
3. The modem waits for the ISP’s modem to answer the call.
4. The program proved to be a great success.
5. When you use a dial-up connection, your computer’s modem is supposed to place a regular telephone call to your ISP.
4.Преобразуйте предложения, воспользовавшись инфинитивом или инфинитивным оборотом и словами в скобках, если они даны. Письменно переведите полученные предложения на русский язык.
1. He said: “Avoid turning off the main power while the computer is running”.
2. Some molecules are large. They could be seen on the electron microscope (enough).
3. It was important that the researchers fulfilled their work in time (for).
4. The system is the first one that tells us if someone tries to get into the system.
5. It appears that my monitor screen flickers.
5.Перепишите предложения, употребив нужную форму прилагательного (much – many, (a)little – (a) few). Письменно переведите предложения на русский язык.
1.… … days later I again tried to reset the parameters.
2.… free ISPs also offer Web-based mail.
3.It takes … time for the ISP’s modem to answer the call.
4.How can one network offer so …information to so … people.
5.If the hard disk crashes … of your data is lost permanently.
6. Прочтите и письменно переведите текст.
DSL and ISDN
Although the standard equipment provided by telephone company limits the amount of data you can transmit and receive over a voiceband modem, the copper wire that runs from your wall jacks to the switching station actually has a fair amount of capacity. DSL and ISDN take advantage of this capacity to offer high-speed digital communication links for voice and data.
DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) is a high-speed, digital, always-on Internet access technology that runs over standard phone lines. It is one of the fastest Internet connections that are affordable to individual consumers. Several variations of this technology exist, including ADSL (asymmetric DSL, with downstream speed faster than upstream speed). DSL is digital, so data doesn’t need to be changed into analog form and then back to digital as it does when you use a dial-up connection.
A DSL connection can simultaneously carry voice and data, if permitted by your DSL provider. The digital data and analog voice signals travel over DSL line to the local switching station. There the voice signals are transferred to the telephone company’s