I. Переведите письменно существительные (1–10). Выберите определения (a–j), соответствующие существительным:
1) decade h) the capacity of a physical system to do work
2) export f) articles produced to be sold
3) business j) a person who buys goods or uses services
4) company i) the return received on an investment after all charges have been paid
5) wage g) payment for labor or services to a worker, especially remuneration on an hourly, daily, or weekly basis
6) profit b) business enterprise; a firm
7) goods c) to send or transport abroad, especially for trade or sale
8) consumer d) the occupation, work, or trade in which a person is engaged
9) price a) the amount as of money or goods, asked for or given in exchange for something else
10) energy e) a period of ten years
II. б) В следующих предложениях подчеркните глагол-сказуемое, определите его видовременную форму и залог. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1) Figures show that unemployment has been growing since 1990’s.
2) Proposals have been put forward for increasing worker mobility.
3) Experts have been warning of the bankruptcy since the company was founded.
III. б) В следующих предложениях подчеркните герундий и инфинитив. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1) The two carmakers hope to achieve savings of 5% on common projects.
2) American corporations begin to offer entire packages of services.
3) After some hard talking officials decided to take part in a meeting in Geneva.
IV. Письменно переведите на русский язык следующие предложения. Помните, что инфинитивные обороты часто соответствуют придаточным предложениям.
1) Mobile operators appear to have realized that they need to open up their networks.
2) The Fed* is reported to accept the document issued by «government- sponsored» enterprises.
3) They called for America’s illegal immigrants to be treated sensibly and humanely.
V. Прочитайте и устно переведите на русский язык весь текст. Перепишите и письменно переведите абзацы 2, 3, 4.
Land of the Rising Price
1. Japan is the place that should greet the return of inflation with joy. The country has had deflation for over a decade. After an economic recovery which began in 2002 firms pay better wages.
2. Prices are on the rise. The Bank of Japan (BOJ) raised its forecast for «core» inflation in the fiscal year ending in March 2009 to 1.8% up from 1.1%. But even Japan’s «core» inflation rate is rising, as higher prices for wholesale goods pass on to consumers. Higher prices not only do harm to Japan’s external strength. They are hurting companies’ profit margins at home.
3. The prices of Japan’s exports relative to imports have deteriorated ** for at least four years. Japan’s recovery was supported by strong exports to China, Europe and oil-exporting countries. In value terms, exports to America are shrinking. Now, export growth to Europe looks as if it is shaking.
4. For as long as money remains cheap, corporate restructuring is unlikely to take hold. Some companies will continue to earn for a living on a drip of cheap credit, while plenty of unproductive sectors and smaller businesses will escape the kind of consolidation they need.
VI. Определите, являются ли приведенные ниже утверждения (1, 2, 3):
а) истинными (true)
б) ложными (false)
в) в тексте нет информации
1) Japan has been in the grip of deflationary forces for over a decade.
2) Higher prices don’t do harm to Japan’s internal strength.
3) There is no unemployment in Japan.
VII. Прочитайте абзац 1 и ответьте письменно на следующий вопрос: What Japan’s recovery was supported by?
Japan’s recovery was supported by strong exports to China, Europe and oil-exporting countries.