I. Перепишите следующие предложения; подчеркните в каждом из них глагол-сказуемое и определите его видо-временную форму и залог. Переведите предложения на русский язык. Обратите внимание на перевод пассивных конструкций
1. Elements are transformed into other elements both by man and by nature.
2. Today plastics are being applied for car bodies.
3. They will be shown a new film tomorrow.
4. The launching of Sputnik 1 was followed by many achieve¬ments in science and engineering.
5. When much material had been looked through and some problems had been solved, the article was published.
6. He was asked many questions at the exams.
II. Перепишите следующие предложения; подчеркните Participle I и Participle II и установите функции каждого из них, т.е. укажите, является ли оно определением, обстоя¬тельством или частью глагола-сказуемого. Переведите пре¬дложения на русский язык
1. The atoms forming our planet are built of negative electrons, positive protons and ordinary neutrons.
2. Nylon was the first synthetic fibre used in clothing.
3. This kind of treatment when used makes the metals heat-resistant.
4. When passing through an electroscope, X-rays cause its discharge.
III. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на разные значе¬ния слова ONE
1. This metro station was opened last year, and that one will be put into operation in two years.
2. One of our teachers will be in London this week.
3. One must take part in scientific work.
4. Our old laboratory equipment was much worse than the new one.
IV. Переведите следующие предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на функцию инфинитива
1. It is necessary for a Soviet specialist to know a foreign language.
2. The Russian scientists were the first to construct and launch the space rocket.
3. Our idea was to design a new device for automatic control.
4. The new method to be introduced at our plant will boost labour productivity.
V. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на функции глагола to BE
1. In the Metro people are carried up and down by escalators.
2. This machine is suitable for lifting things.
3. He was to meet him at the station.
VI. Прочитайте и письменно переведите на русский язык текст
1. Timber is the most ancient structural material which was used by the primitive man for building a hut protecting him from stormy weather and wild animals. It is daily growing in importance. Wood is light, easy to work and its mechanical properties are good. Wood possesses a comparatively high strength combined with a small volume weight, elasticity and low heat conductivity. Under favourable service conditions wood remains intact during long periods of time (several hundred years).
2. Timber is a name applied to the cut material derived from trees. The moisture content of timber is important, since the strength of timber decreases as the moisture content rises. Caution must therefore be used when designing timber construction on site, and a maximum safe working stress of 5 N/mm2 is advised under these conditions.
3. Wood is very widely used in the building field, owing to the above indicated qualities and a comparatively low cost. Timber used for building purposes is divided into two groups: softwoods and hardwoods. At present an enormous amount of timber is employed for a vast number of purposes. Hardwoods are chiefly used for decorative purposes, as for panelling, veneering in furniture, and some of them are selected for structural use because of their high strength and durability. In modern construction it is often used for window and door frames, flooring, fences and gates, wallplates, for temporary buildings and unpainted internal woodwork.
VII. Ответьте письменно на вопрос:
Why is wood very widely used in the building field?